Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Our Intercessor

I am typically not the author of our posts on this blog. In fact, I had to ask Tessa how to log in and start a post. Nevertheless, I had a little something on my mind that I wanted to share. This past Sunday, our associate pastor gave an amazing message from Romans 8 that blessed me tremendously, and I hope that you will be encouraged by it as well. Romans 8:26-27 were the verses that stuck with me...they are familiar to many, but I hadn't thought about them in a while. Listen to the words:

"In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God."

There are sometimes in my life when I don't have words to pray, when I don't know what to pray to God. In my weakness, I simply don't have words to pray to my Father (or maybe I don't even think to pray in certain situations!). These verses tell me that even in those times the Spirit is praying for me to the Father. And these prayers are not from some random person nonchalantly praying a quick prayer without really meaning it. This promise from Scripture says that God Himself (in us as believers) as the Spirit intercedes with prayers/groanings too deep for words for us to God the Father. It also says that these prayers are "according to the will of God." So, if God in the Spirit in us is praying to God the Father on our behalf, and His prayers are according to God's will, do you think these prayers will be answered? Yes, they will! The fact is that our Father loves us so much that He has given us the Spirit as a Helper and an Intercessor Who is always praying to the Father on our behalf. So, if you are a believer in Christ, the Spirit was and is interceding for you today! Even if you don't realize it, He is! What an amazing truth. Be encouraged that no matter what you may be facing today, big or small, Someone is praying just for you.

-Brad

2 comments: